Monday, March 23, 2009

Update-y goodness.

As soon as Andrew got well enough to finally get into the NICU to see Shaughnessy I got sick with whatever it was he'd had. At least we managed to pass off the baton, but still ... it sucks to not be seeing her together.

Andrew seeing her does make me extremely happy, of course. I hate to think of neither of us able to go in, so the fact that at least one of her parents can see her daily makes me feel a lot better. And Andrew made sure to get a great shot of himself holding her for the first time. See:




While he was there Shaughnessy's nurse was doing her hands-on care and had Andrew help out with it, but didn't make him change her diaper, hee hee. The diapers that they use are ridiculously small preemie diapers but they still come up to Shaughnessy's armpits if they're not folded down. When Andrew asked about that the nurse said they just fold them down so they don't look dumb, not for any practical reason. I think I'll start folding them down first when I change her, because I always end up giving her saggy-butt diapers and that's probably why.

Her IV burn is healing well, it seems, so I'm going to stop worrying about it. She's been doing really well with breathing off of the CPAP machine, too, so hopefully that means soon she'll be off of it for good! It hasn't bothered me so much with regards to her breathing because I know it wasn't hurting her and was necessary to keep her breathing and strengthening her lungs, but it'll be nice for her to not have to wear the gear on her head and face any more. It gets in the way of how cute she is, and always seemed uncomfortable on her face and cheeks. There are two different kinds they use; a mask and a two-pronged one that sits inside her nostrils. They both have their pluses, but I'll be glad to see them gone!

She's off the IV altogether because after the IV burn happened they didn't want to chance another interstitial vein and she was nearly at full feeds anyhow. Now she's at full feeds, is off the IV, is soon going to be off of the CPAP and hopefully I'll get to start nursing her within a month! I can hardly wait for that!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yaaaaay! What a little toughie! I'm thrilled to hear she's doing so very well.