Monday, November 24, 2008

Brain pain, abnormalities and baby names, oh my!

So, I seem to have lost my blogging mojo in the last year or so, but I do intend to actually update this weblog whenever there's something worthy of writing about. Just lately there hasn't been a whole heck of a lot to write about! I've been sick, still, which is nothing new and nothing anyone wants to hear whole bunches about.

Excitingly (said sarcastically, of course), almost daily headaches have appeared. I'm someone who tends to get lots of headaches anyhow and have since my mid-teens, so it's unsurprising that another common pregnancy complaint will apparently be mine. I can deal with headaches, though! I'm SO used to getting them and since Tylenol is safe to take during pregnancy I actually have something to combat them with. The nausea kicked my butt because it's just not the same. It causes me huge amounts of anxiety in a way that headaches do not.

My obstetrician is nice so far and the office is pleasant as well. They have a system where you get results from things like paps and ultrasounds using an automated phone or web system rather than talking to anyone at the office, which is fine by me except the system hasn't worked for me yet because they incorrectly entered my birthdate and I need it for retrieving my results. So, I had to get my results over the phone from the receptionist anyhow and she seemed happy to give me the good news, which is that the nuchal translucency results were all fine and our wee one will likely not have Down's Syndrome or any Trisomy disorders. The bad news is that the pap results indicate that I have some abnormal cells, which is common but still worrisome! So I have to go back for a more in-depth testing of my innards in January. I have an appointment tomorrow with the obstetrician so he'll explain it better to me, but the receptionist really didn't seem to like giving news like that over the phone. Guess I can't blame her!

I KNOW I still don't have the most recent ultrasound photos to share yet. I have the photos in my purse and keep forgetting to give them to Andrew to scan at work. I'll do my best to remember to give them to him tomorrow since he'll be coming to the obstetrician's office with me.

I'm 14 weeks now, which is exciting because I'm officially out of the first trimester! Hooray! Baby is doing OK as far as I can tell, which isn't that much really since there's no kicking going on that I can feel as of yet. Andrew and I have finally settled on a boy's name, too, which is a relief to me. I was very anxious to get it decided on, for some reason. We plan to find out the sex at the anatomical screening, which should be in December sometime, so I suppose I just really wanted to know at that point what we'll be calling him/her. I think we'll wait until then to announce it officially, although we've told a few people already.

2 comments:

Jerome said...

Just remember that Jerome is spelled with a J.

(The word's "ninglean". I enjoy that. That could be your girl name.)

Sonya said...

I think she'd be much more comfortable with "Sonya". I mean, we all know "Jerome"'s fairly girly, but we want to LOVE this child, don't we???