Friday, November 7, 2008

Second ultrasound!

Oooookay. I'm awake at three in the morning with nausea and heartburn. Blah. What better way to get sleepy again than write? I actually have something to write about, though, which is that today (technically yesterday at this point) I went for the second ultrasound.

It was a totally different experience than the first one. Most notably because Andrew wasn't there. He's been out of town all week for work, so I did this one alone. I went in expecting a very similar atmosphere to the first one, where the tech was uncommunicative and brisk, but immediately this tech treated me totally differently. She was really warm and friendly and explained every single thing she did. She was doing two kinds of ultrasounds, abdomen and vaginal, and she took a long time with the abdominal one, really pressing down with the scanny thingy. I didn't expect her to turn the screen for me to see, since they're not supposed to discuss medical results, but she mentioned that as soon as she was done taking measurements she'd let me see.

So, when she did I got my first real look at our baby actually moving! I was blown away. There was the peanut, much bigger than last time and facing in the opposite direction, kicking its little legs and kind of waving its arms around pretty enthusiastically. Probably due to the pressure and movement of the ultrasound, since at around this point the baby starts responding to pressure on the uterus. She pointed out the arms and head and legs and I watched its heart just pumping away. It was awesome.

She let me see the internal one, too, which was a face-on shot of the peanut. That one was actually less clear and interesting to watch since peanut wasn't moving as much, but she printed me off a good shot from both ultrasounds and the internal one looks like the peanut is waving. Sweet.

So all in all this was a MUCH better ultrasound experience for me. I'm eleven and a half weeks now, which means I can once more start waiting for the morning sickness to fade in a couple of weeks or so. I'm way too hopeful about it, since for some women it just doesn't and I have a looming dread that I'll be one of them. The Diclectin is still helping some, although not as much as I'd wish. It keeps me from vomiting, I think, rather than take away the nausea completely, but I'm thankful for that, believe me. I still have some days where I barf no matter what, but again: It's improved with the meds, so I just remember that!

When Andrew gets back home he'll scan the new ultrasound photos at work so I can upload them and you can see the peanut throwing gang signs from the womb.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Hooray for the peanut! I'm excited for you Keltie!