Sunday, October 26, 2008

See the peanut!

We finally, finally got an ultrasound! I went in kind of nervous because by my calculations I was nearly fourteen weeks and the nuchal translucency test isn't as accurate by then (where they're measuring liquid at the back of the baby's neck, and it can absorb into the body by that point making for a misdiagnosis.) It's to check for things like Down's Syndrome and Trisomy 18, so that's the kind of thing you want to be accurate.

Anyhow, we got in to the ultrasound room and the tech started doing her thing. She didn't turn the screen for me to see anything at any point and kind of looked a bit confused. Finally she informed me that I'm not almost fourteen weeks, I'm nine weeks! Nine and a half, really, but still! I guess I skipped a period and that threw off the whole thing. Wow. So, we ended up announcing it pretty early but what can you do?

Nine weeks is way too early for the kind of tests they were going to do, so I have to go back next month. The tech wasn't even going to print us off a picture but I finally just asked her to and she did, so here you go:



The head is the upper right blob, in case you can't quite get what you're seeing there. I'm disappointed that the tech didn't let me see the screen during the scans or point out anything to us, but you get who you get and I'm hoping that next time we'll have a more friendly tech.

2 comments:

Sonya said...

I love peanuts! :)

Jerome said...

Crunchy!







("Blerve" is my new favourite verification.)