Saturday, May 9, 2009

The poop that ate TCAF.

Since late yesterday Essie had been a bit fussier than usual. After eating she falls into a comfortable sleep and usually stays that way until she's ready to eat again. Since last night, though, she'd been squirming and complaining even after eating, throwing up a lot more than I'm used to from her and generally seeming unhappy. She's been pooping almost alarmingly well since coming home from St. Mike's. I was worried that she had something wrong in there, actually, since pooping hasn't always been her strong suit and she often had to try pretty hard to poop once a day. But no; she'd been pooping all day, every day and nothing solid at all.

I know. This is gross. IDWIYO has been all boobs and poop these days.

Anyhow, she hadn't pooped since sometime in the afternoon yesterday and as the night went on she got fussier and more complainy. I'd been planning to sleep at night since today was the first day of TCAF and we'd been planning to go to it. I really, REALLY wanted to meet some of my favourite webcomic artists in person and buy some of their merch. Instead of sweetly sleeping, though, Essie slept very lightly, keeping up a running low-grade grumble. I don't know about you, but running low-grade grumbles aren't exactly a relaxing sound for me so I was not really sleeping so much as trying to sleep and ignore the grumble. Then when she got hungrier she'd ramp it up to a squeaky growl, which is an even less relaxing sound.

By the time Andrew got up for the day I was exhausted and sad, having only managed to grab a few minutes worth of sleep here and there between Essie's feedings and diaper changes. I had reached the point of tiredness where nothing really matters but just getting some damn sleep already, so I was like, "TCAF or sleep? I choose SLEEP before I cry."

So, I stayed home with our grumbly, poopless daughter, convinced that I'd never sleep and she'd never poop, that she'd forgotten how to do it and would require medical intervention every time poop needed to come out. Andrew went out to get some necessities, then came home where poop had still not appeared and sleep was still not succeeding, then went back out to see TCAF.

Mid-afternoon? She pooped. A giant poop, a triumphant poop, a poop that fulfilled the purpose of her diaper like no poop has ever done. So there was poop, there was a cessation in low-grade grumbling, and then after a bottle and some snuggling there was some sleep! I had to get up after some sleep because she yet again needed feeding and diaper changing and snuggling so was awake when Andrew came in the door, flush with stories of all my favourite webcomic artists and how nice and wonderful they are. I'd say a name and he'd be all, "Yeah, we talked. He/she is really nice!"

And they were really nice and a few signed some merch for me and my most favourite even said she'd send me some buttons as a Mother's Day gift! Of course at this point because I'd had some sleep and Essie was back to her usual mostly-content self I was petulantly sad that I hadn't been able to go to TCAF after all. So we're considering going for a few minutes before our drive to Kingston tomorrow so I can bask in the glow of the Dumbrella/Topatoco crew and probably buy even more merch. If you want your favourite webcomic artists to stick around making webcomics, you have to support them!

P.S. Notice how when she poops I'm worried that there's something wrong, and when she doesn't poop I'm worried that there's something wrong? Yeah.

No comments: