Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's all about the socks.

Hello again. I seem to have a lot to say lately. I do like writing and used to blog so regularly that I guess I've reminded myself how much I get out of it! Also lately I've had a small run of funny little events when generally my life is so boring and predictable that it's less easy to find things to share.

Anyhow, I never did tell the wee story about shopping at The Bay with Andrew. It's not insanely hilarious, but it was definitely a highlight of a shopping trip that was not so successful for me otherwise. See, Andrew was looking for a shirt to wear to the wedding to match the ties that Colin had bought for the groomsmen. So, he took a small variety of shirts to try on in the change room while I parked myself on one of two seats outside the change rooms and waited. A couple of other women ended up sitting beside me while their partners tried things on but they were there and gone pretty quickly. Then another woman sat down and her husband headed into the change rooms with a couple of bathing suits (the kind that are like long baggy shorts.)

We didn't talk to each other or anything, just both sat and waited. Then her husband came out of his change room and peeked out of the changing area, wanting his wife's opinion. He was still wearing his button-up shirt and his socks, as well as the bathing suit in question. His wife began to quietly giggle when she saw him in his bathing suit and socks and he kind of sheepishly got her opinion while she continued to giggle at him, then took off back to his change room to try on another suit.

I had been trying not to giggle while he was there, and when he was gone I leaned over to her and said, "The socks really make the outfit," which caused her to immediately bust out laughing.

So we both lost our shit entirely and laughed and laughed and laughed and wiped away tears of laughter. I saw his change room door open again and tried to compose myself. He skulked down the wall of the hallway and when he got to the end where we were stuck out one of his be-socked legs and did a little pointy-toed sexy thing with it, then peeked out at us again. So she and I laughed some more and then she pulled herself together to give him her opinion on his second bathing suit and he went away again, all smiles. I told her that I hoped I hadn't hurt his feelings with the sock laughter and she assured me that no, if he could get a laugh he'd always go for the laugh. Hee hee.

When he came back out I assured him that his socks were very nice and looked great with the bathing suit and he and his wife laughed with me some more and then went on their merry way. I tried to share with Andrew how very hilarious and happy-making it had all been for me, and it really, really had been. I love running across happy, funny people like that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you are feeling up to writing again. I'm loving it. You have a wonderful talent of writing about anything and making it interesting.

Keltie said...

Mom, you're the sweetest! And since you're NOT the type to just praise your kids for every little thing no matter what, I take your compliments seriously. :)

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love you!

Jerome said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Now, back to your post. I love stories like this.