Thursday, January 8, 2009

DENIED, AGAIN!

We had the anatomical scan ultrasound today and I was SO. EXCITED. to find out the gender. I went in all happy to discover the gender of our large-banana sized child, and ultimately was denied this knowledge. Yes, the umbilical cord was totally in the way of the specifics.

The experience itself was nice, though. The tech was the same one who gave us our first ultrasound and during that one she was uncommunicative and reserved, but I'm pretty sure that was due to the mixup of how far along I was. This time she was much chattier and quite informative, seeming totally charmed by our bouncy kid. Apparently baby Jeanes was moving around a LOT, all wiggly and twitchy (although I couldn't really see this from my position during most of the ultrasound.) She'd be trying to measure the limbs and the baby kept moving them out of position. This mostly just made her laugh, though, and she told us that all of her babies today had been hyper.

After she'd taken all the measurements she turned the screen toward me and pointed out a few things like the baby's face and legs and arms. It had one arm up and a hand over its left eye which the tech thought was totally adorable. I was more worried that it was trying to suck its thumb, though! Then she did her best to see the gender but showed us how the cord was in the way. I jokingly said that it must be a boy if it was so active, taking after its dad, but she said that she was leaning more toward it being a girl. Since she couldn't say for sure, though, it was just a guess and now I have to try not to take it too seriously.

So yeah, I'm a bit disappointed but it's hard to be too upset when we could see our little mini human being all energetic and lively. That's pretty reassuring. After we left the clinic I made a lot of jokes about our naughty, uncooperative baby but I'm not literally blaming the kid. Honest! Oh, and Andrew took the new ultrasound shot and the ones from last time to work so he could scan them, so hopefully later today or early tomorrow I'll post them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry that you were denied the knowledge of baby Jeanes gender. At least you won't have to worry about the ultrasound tech telling you the wrong gender. I can't wait to cuddle and spoil baby Jeanes.

Keltie said...

Mom, I'm sorry I missed your call yesterday! I'll try you either tonight or tomorrow.

And that's a positive way of looking at it, although I'm having to try hard not to believe it's a girl now. You will have TONS of opportunity to cuddle and spoil this kid, no worries!