Wednesday, January 7, 2009

DENIED!

So, Andrew went to Ottawa for the weekend. My only request was that he bring me home a caramel apple from The Purple Cow, since the caramel apple craving is still upon me and The Purple Cow does them PERFECTLY. He arrived home on Sunday and all was well, we were happy to see each other and I forgot about the caramel apple until much, much later when Andrew suddenly said, "Oh, I went to the Purple Cow to get your caramel apple and guess what?"

"What?" says I, with a feeling that the story would end with no caramel apple for me.

"IT WAS GONE," he informed me.

I did not believe it, but he insisted it was true. Apparently he went to the store and it was like the candy store from The Chocolate Touch when John Midas goes back to get the shopkeeper to help him; totally empty inside.

I accused Andrew of simply forgetting my caramel apple and coming up with this implausible lie, but he continued to maintain that he was telling the truth. Sigh. So, in the end I had to believe him.

The hope is that they're either renovating or relocating, but since Andrew couldn't see any evidence of either I am lost in a limbo of not knowing. And I'll REALLY have to make my own caramel apples now.

This is all really for the BABY of course, not me. The BABY wants the caramel apple, or makes me want it ... or something.

The morning sickness is still mostly a thing of the past so I'm letting myself relax a bit about it. Other common pregnancy things abound, but I can deal. Heartburn is a big one and while heartburn is no fun there's a certain freedom in realizing that anything I eat is going to result in it. I can eat things that I used to be more cautious about before, like hot dogs (not healthy, but tasty when you really want one) or red peppers or whatnot and know that they'll do me no more harm than anything else. As long as I have my giant-ass tub of Tums (Andrew bought me a HUGE container of them after I told him this would go on until the baby Jeanes is born) and my wild cherry Rolaids chewables I'm good.

I'm LOVING how the kicking is getting more pronounced every day. It really is the coolest part of pregnancy so far, just feeling proof that yes, there truly is a little sprog in there kicking around. I was never sure how I'd find the whole experience of pregnancy and it's been very surprising so far, but I always figured that if I did end up having a kid I'd find this part the most fascinating. I'm checking a lot to see if I can feel anything from the outside at all so that Andrew can start sharing in the weirdness, but it's still not strong enough for that. Soon!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So, since I still know foodies in Ottawa, I thought I'd ask around and see if anyone knew what was going on with the Purple Cow.

Apparently the building owner hiked up rents so much that several of the businesses there, including Purple Cow, closed up shop. A kid's clothing store is apparently rumored to be opening in their space.

HOWEVER: No one seems to know if Purple Cow is actually just relocating. I'm waiting to see if someone with more info replies to me. :)

Jerome said...

How much do I enjoy the reference to The Chocolate Touch? Haha!

Unknown said...

Ok, so: Rumour has it they're moving to the Byward Market. It's just a rumour so far, though. Hopefully by the time you next go to Ottawa it will be open and you'll be able to get a caramel apple... even if the baby is already born by then. ;)

Keltie said...

Wow, Candice. Seems to me that if the Byward Market move is real then the biggest losers in the whole situation are the building owners. The market is a pretty good location for a store like that!

Thanks for the info! It's nice to know people on the inside. ;)

And Jerome, I totally want to reread that book someday. I loved it as a kid!

Jerome said...

It's a popular novel study in my class. You can borrow it some time, my little nokee. (Okay, so that's the verification word, but it sounds like such a cute pet name.)