Saturday, January 31, 2009

Those kicks were fast as lightning!

My belly moves noticeably from the outside now when Baby Jeanes is practicing Kung Fu fighting! I saw it for the first time this morning. I was wearing just a thin stretchy tank top instead of a t-shirt and had my laptop sitting on my legs. Baby Jeanes had been pretty active for a while, but I suddenly noticed my belly actually twitch when s/he let loose with a really good kick. So I sat and watched for a while and saw about four or five good ones before s/he got tired and settled down.

How. Weird.

I mean, I've seen the bellies of other pregnant women doing the creepy alien thing when they're really far along and you can see the skin moving around and shifting with the movement of the baby, but it's incredibly weird to see it happening to yourself for the first time. I'm not at the creepy inner alien phase yet, just the periodic outer twitch phase, but man ... WEIRD.

The whole thing is weird! Human procreation is weird! Maysie was telling us about Noah's reaction to how babies are made (hey, he asked) and y'know, dude ain't wrong when he seems a bit stunned by the process. Why can't we all be Cylons? Although I guess even they are pretty gross, too.

I think mostly I'm just so constantly surprised by my body actually having the capability to produce human life. There are so many things it's NOT good at doing that this seems overly ambitious, you know?

2 comments:

Jerome said...

"I think mostly I'm just so constantly surprised by my body actually having the capability to produce human life. There are so many things it's NOT good at doing that this seems overly ambitious, you know?"

This is a delightfully enjoyable thing to read.

Keltie said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! We'll see how well my body continues to do, I guess. I keep hoping I have a secret trap-door the baby can come out of rather than doing things the usual way.