Sunday, April 26, 2009

Anus, whatever.

So I've had three good breastfeeding sessions with Essie so far. The last one was today and she drank about 22 cc's altogether which is almost half of a feed. I tried to get her to do it again for her next feed but she was like, "What? I'm tired!" So, no go. Her stamina is not yet enough, I suppose, so I may have to try to nurse her at alternating feeds rather than two in a row for a bit.

We did have a nice visit with her today. The nursing session was cozy and wonderful, of course, and Andrew was there too which was nice because he wasn't for the last two sessions. The breastfeeding might be going well because I gave permission for the nurses to bottle-feed her and that's apparently been going well too, so she's getting lots of practice with suck and swallow. I just want this kid to be able to eat, as I've mentioned, so the fact that it's all going well makes me very happy.

She is getting a bit of a diaper rash, and I've noticed when I change her diaper at St. Mike's that it's always very, very wet. Like, many pees worth of wet. At WCH that didn't seem to happen and she never really came down with a rash at any point. The nurse gave us some zinc cream to use on her to help with it and Andrew changed her.

While we were sitting around he got in a conversation with the nurse about the rash and ... well, he used a lot of proper terms. Stuff like, "When I wiped her anus," and "I noticed she was red around the anus," and "There wasn't really any fecal matter around her anus."

I was sitting there holding our daughter and all I wanted was to holler, "STOP SAYING 'ANUS'!" He went on to say 'feces' and 'anus' and 'fecal matter' a few more times, and I just clenched my teeth and stayed quiet. We went out for dinner during the shift change and over our meal I suggested to him that terms like 'bum bum' and 'poo poo' were just as serviceable.

He disliked the unprofessionalism of such language and pointed out that when the nurse gave us a bath demo she kept saying 'vagina' a lot and it's true; she did. It was all vagina this and vagina that and vagina over here. But still she is a nurse and he's not! He's a dad! I still can't imagine him saying bum bum and poo poo, though. He's far more likely to say 'ass' than 'anus', to be entirely honest.

3 comments:

KnittyBitch said...

My good lord, but that is funny. I love when the men folk feel the need to speak with the nurses and doctors using their own terminology. Tony does the same thing, and I just sit there laughing. It is one thing to try to keep abreast of what is going on, and knowing what is going on, but you just wait until they figure you know what you are talking about, and throw in a few terms you haven`t ever heard.

And way to go on the feedings (both the breastaurant and bottle). Amazing that she is picking it up so quickly.

Andrew said...

The word is "anus," people. Made famous in many third grade schoolyard jokes.

I mean, It's not like I was using the word "cyanosis" or "tachycardia" or, you know, any of the many other technical terms that they put on the information sheet. The one that they give to parents to read. So that they can understand what the technical lingo means.

p.s. My captcha is "anions," which seems appropriate for some reason.

Keltie said...

OK, fine, but perhaps we should be making the really big decisions. Decisions like: What are we going to call them to our little girl? Her 'kitty'? Her 'privates'? I'm not going to talk to Essie about making sure to thoroughly wipe her 'fecal matter' off of her 'anus'.

The nurses have probably heard it all, from 'bum bum' to 'shitter'.