Wednesday, April 8, 2009

She looks like Shaughnessy most of all.

Shaughnessy's having a pretty good week, overall. She's back off of her CPAP, seemingly for good this time. We were a bit worried that they were cycling her off of it too quickly again, but as I kept reminding both Andrew and myself; a week in the life of a preemie is a pretty significant chunk of time and her lungs have probably strengthened up more than we'd expect.

She's had two eye exams so far to check for ROP and so far both have come up at zero, which is the best result you can get. She is startled by loud sound and is obviously light sensitive so for now I'm not worried about basic sight and hearing. It's too soon to know if they're perfect or anything like that, but it's all encouraging!

What the CPAP news means is that she'll be moving to a different hospital within the week. I called today to check on her and the nurse asked me what hospital we want her moved to since it's imminent. We want either St. Michael's or Mt. Sinai and would prefer the latter since it's even easier to get to, but we'll see. I don't know what the protocol is for these kinds of things and nobody had really mentioned Mt. Sinai to us as a possibility.

ANYHOW, I'm just excited because she's doing so well and getting so big. She's really starting to put on weight and fatten up a bit. She's hardly recognizable as the baby I had five weeks ago. She's not fat yet, by any means, but her cheeks are really filling out, her arms and thighs are starting to get pudgy and she may even have a butt beginning! In all the dreams I had about having a baby during my pregnancy I had a fatty fat little girl, but as one of the nurses said to me she might just be a lean baby naturally when she's reached her 'ideal' weight. She is a lot like her dad.



Speaking of which; I think she looks totally like Andrew. She has his face shape, definitely has light hair and just overall seems to bear a strong resemblance to him. I'd read all about babies looking more like their fathers as an evolutionary safeguard against the father rejecting the child, but I was surprised to read up on it more and discover that apparently the mother will also insist strongly to the father that the child resembles him, even if they're less likely to claim the same thing when he's not around.

Now, I'm ALWAYS telling Andrew how much I think our girl looks like him. I'm disappointed to think that I'm obeying some sort of evolutionary imperative, but I also insist the same thing to anyone else who will listen. I mean, I think she might have my ears and nose and will probably look like a girl and all, but you can SEE the Andrew half of the equation when you look at our daughter. Even the nurses have told me so.



What it boils down to is that no matter who she looks like she's adorable.

No comments: