Friday, April 17, 2009

Tiny little leaps and bounds.

This has been quite a week in the life of Shaughnessy. And her parents. She's started wearing actual clothing now instead of just hanging out in a diaper all the time, and we got to be there while she had a bath on Wednesday. The best thing, though, is that she's moved out of her incubator! That's right; girlfriend sleeps in a crib.

The clothing is all hospital-issue but it's adorable little pajamas that are donated so she wears something different and cute every day. One outfit so far was even a bit small on her teeny preemie self! She just looks so much like a 'real' baby all of a sudden, and in my eyes the clothes make her look even smaller somehow.



The bath was great. She'd already had a few so it wasn't new to her, but the nurses always do a demo bath with the parents before getting us to do it on our own. Shaughnessy enjoys it and didn't make a peep the whole time, even after the bath when they're most likely to cry because of colder air on their damp skin. She just made her usual conversational grunts about everything. The very best part was when her hair dried. It all stuck straight out from her head in this awesome fuzzy halo of cuteness and looked much lighter than it does when it's all stuck down to her scalp. I nearly passed out, she looked so awesome all dressed up and fuzzy-haired.



Her nurse had intended to change out her incubator to a cot that same night but ended up not doing it, so when I went in the next day I found her in her brand new crib, hanging out like a full-term baby. The crib is awesome because it's so much easier to access her and hold her whenever I want to. That's getting more and more usual, too. The nurses are less and less concerned about her ins and outs and pretty much let us decide when we want to hold her or not.



We've done three lick and sniffs now and she's still pretty much just licking and sniffing. Not a lot new to report there, but I'm going to start trying to go in earlier now and hopefully do more of that so she has lots of chances to get used to it.

That's all that's new. I've been feeling really tired this week and finding it hard to get the energy to do much and force myself to get up and go. Not sure what's up with that, but I'll have to get over it with a quickness! We'll be invaded by a baby tyrant soon and I won't have much choice in the matter.

Oh, I added a Flickr badge over in the sidebar where I upload all the pictures of Shaughnessy that I put in my Facebook albums. Anyone can see the pics, so feel free to click on it to admire her cuteness. They go all the way back to her first week, and I'll keep adding whenever I have new ones.

No comments: